Pointless, Preconceived Notions
Have you ever put an idea in your own head of how something is “supposed to” go, or have you let other people give you those “supposed to” ideas? Probably, lets be honest, if you said no, you’re lying.
Why aren’t things going this way? Why didn’t this happen? Why doesn’t so & so do this? Why aren’t I doing this?
There is an endless amount of questions floating around causing disarray in our lives. Since we are all aware of that because we always have no clue why something didn’t go the way we schemed up in our mind, I believe it’s our fault. What, you may say? Nope. It is. It’s our fault. We have all of these preconceived notions in the form of unattainable expectations.
The reason I say that is because, they’re our own ideas of what we think will be the best possible outcome of any given situation. Or our moms, or our math teacher, or the cool dude on social media that’s only 25 and has already written a book about his life. Either way, we created these ideas because we think we know best.
Now as somebody who has lived a life of countless failed expectations let me tell you what I’ve learned, I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, I DO NOT KNOW BEST, AND I SURE AS HECK SHOULDN’T THINK I SHOULD BE IN CHAREGE…. But neither should you.
When I was 15 I legitimately believed that I would marry Nick Jonas, because I had met him a few times and he smiled at me. I’m not joking. Now I look back at 22, and am I married to him because he smiled at me a few times? NO I AM NOT. He’s a pop star, he gets paid to smile.
Ok, first of all I am aware that is a super ridiculous example, but there are so many others:
- Did I go to the college I wanted and graduate with the degree I had planned? NOPE.
- Am I married? NOPE
- Do I have a well paying job? NOPE
- Have I been able to travel to all the continents already? NOPE.
- Am I the person everyone said I would be? NO WAY JOSE.
And I could probably write about 4 trillion more other questions just about my own life, but that’s not what we’re actually “supposed to” do. The only thing we actually need to and have to do is chase after God and HIS DESIRES, not ours.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”
Proverbs 16:9 (ESV)
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”
Psalm 37:23 (ESV)
“The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way;”
Psalm 32:8 (ESV)
“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you”
I really like those verses especially Psalm 37:23 because it basically says that when we delight in Gods ways he will show us what we need to do, where we need to go, and the people we should do it with. That’s a load off, huh?
The only thing we’re “supposed to” do is let God plan everything. He has the best, most amazingly phenomenal plans any way.
1 Corinthians 2:9 (ESV)
“But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him’—“
One thing I can tell you about my life is, the moment I decided to stop trying to make my plans a reality is the moment that amazing things started to happen. I may not be able to answer all the questions I had for my life with my preconceived notions, but I can answer them with realities that are substantially better, because they were Gods plan and not mine.
- Did I go to the college I wanted and graduate with the degree I had planned? NOPE, but I got one of the best experiences of my life, met life long friends, and learned my passions because I waited to finish pursuing my degree.
- Am I married? NOPE, but “one day my prince will come,” and I know that instead of forcing my hand to live up to the standards southern society has set for me that he will be exactly who God has planned.
- Do I have a well paying job? NOPE, but I have an amazing internship that will help me pursue my God given dreams and I know God will provide me with the right job at the exact moment he intended.
- Have I been able to travel to all the continents already? NOPE, but I’ve been able to go to so many more places than most other people, plus I still have tons of adventures to look forward to.
- Am I the person everyone said I would be? NO WAY JOSE, but I love who I’m becoming and I’m finally ok with myself and who God created me to be; that’s substantially better than living up to other peoples expectations.
We need to stop being so consumed in what we think needs to happen and all the plans others have created for us, and just surrender them all to God. The scary part about that is, a lot of the time people in your life won’t understand. They’ll question your sanity; they may judge you; they may shun you, but God didn’t create us for a safe life, he created us for a miraculous adventure and why would we want to live a life anything short of that!
Just remember, you are amazing, your plans are not as cool as you think they are, and God has your back. It’s Wednesday so I hope you’re wearing pink. (Mean Girls reference) I love you all!